Tuesday 24 March 2015

Mortal thoughts

The scariest thing that I ever did was take a life insurance class when I was in my twenties.

We studied the history of life insurance and various types of coverage typically offered. Then we got into mortality tables. Neatly laid out tables of different scenarios for men and women of one hundred people from ages zero to one hundred and how many were expected to die at various stages along the way. Sobering stuff.

I could not sleep that night. I could not sleep for a few nights after that. In the back of your mind you always know it but then one day the realization hits you; everybody dies. There is no escape, no one lives forever. People will die of the expected and the unexpected. Once we pass a large number of us will be forgotten with the incremental passing of time. Being an adult means you have to confront and accept some unpleasant truths.

That was years ago.

I got my will updated today. Not one of those fun things to do however it is one of those things that needed to be done. Everything is clearly laid out and everything will be easy to find and deal with should, I mean when, something happens to me. The fun stuff can wait for the weekend.

1 comment:

  1. A friend died very suddenly without a will. His wife went through hell with all the paperwork. And it cost her a small fortune to get everything straightened out. You did good..

    ReplyDelete