Wednesday 14 October 2015

Amisk Creek Lutheran Church

Built 1914, located on Township Road 205 near Ryley, Alberta. I was here on October 11, 2015 with a bit of a rain in the air and 100km/h winds. The news in the morning had a wind advisory and they were not wrong. The wind was brutal.

The steeple is gone.


The lettering is faded. It says the church was built in 1914 and mentions donations for a restoration project that I would guess started at one point and ran out of steam.


It would take too much to restore this building. There is too much damage.


Cemetery beside the church that has been kept up.





8 comments:

  1. Sad, but I guess the only option is to let it slowly fall down. I'm sure lots of snow and ice gets in from the steeple hole. I wonder if the pews are still inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew. It was boarded up. The basement access was open and I might have got inside to see. I decided as it might not have been unsafe.

      Delete
  2. I bet it was beautiful when new. Wonder who has the windows now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were likely stained glass. Now that you mention it, I now wonder if someone has them.

      Delete
  3. Very sad! I am sure the church used to be really beautiful and quiet place to prey... Now it is a little bit sinister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, with the bleakness of the weather it does look sinister.

      Delete
  4. This church was moved to a farm in Dec 2015.


    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently attended a service at Amisk Creek Lutheran Church and was impressed by the warm and welcoming community. However, I couldn't help but notice that they don't have a resident doctor to consult. I think it would be a great addition to the church to have a medical professional on hand for any emergency situations.

    ReplyDelete