Monday 25 April 2016

St. Anthony's Church

I spotted this from Highway 317 travelling south from Macklin, Saskatchewan on April 2, 2016. I really do not plan trips, I just end up in certain places. I saw the church off in the distance and was undecided if I should turn off the road to investigate. This was worth the short detour.



I have never seen one of these on a rural church before. I found this amazing. 


I know nothing of this history of this area. It stands to reason that the people that settled this area were German.


This bell was in the churchyard off to the side. There was no lettering on it. 


The church was locked. Of course I would love a look inside.



A few hundred feet west on the other side of the gravel road is the cemetery. I have never encountered crosses like these. An amazing sight and well worth the trip.








3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful find! I had read about the wrought iron grave markers some time ago. I have never seen one in person, but if I remember right, they were first used to replace wooden markers that would deteriorate with weather and time. They were made by local blacksmiths and were much more affordable than stone markers. I think they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful. This truly was a great find. The church looks to be very well cared for as well as the grounds. The crosses are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes the road less traveled will have a wonderful surprise at the end. Glad you took that road! Beautiful photographs, BW.

    ReplyDelete