Sunday 29 May 2016

Gimlet Missionary Church May 8, 2016

Sometimes you find stuff totally by accident. This is near Gimlet, Alberta. There is a hall and rodeo grounds at Gimlet and nothing else. It has the look of an old schoolhouse. The sign says it was established in 1933 so it may have always been a church. Some old schools were repurposed as halls and churches. I could not find any quick information. Maybe someone will stumble across this post and provide some background.


I really did not feel like hopping a well built barbed wire fence to get a closer look. I did not want to open the road gate either. There was no small gate for people. 



7 comments:

  1. It looks to be very well maintained. Even the fencing doesn't look very old...or maybe I should say updated. I like the signage on the church. Would that be stamped metal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://canadiancharities.landoffree.com/charity/gimlet-missionary-church
    The roof looks to be fairly new, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on a Sunday morning in the summer and you can have a look around inside! This church is used weekly in the summer months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.facebook.com/gimletalc/

      Delete
  4. My Grandma and Great-Aunt went to school at Gimlet, Alberta in the 1940s, and I have a photo of their class standing in front of a building that looks somewhat like this. I wonder if it is the same one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to church school there when I was a pre-schooler! We lived nearby at the time.

    ReplyDelete