Monday 9 May 2016

Sacred Heart, Faith, Alberta

One of the places that I knew was there, I had just never been there before. I managed a visit on April 9, 2016. This is off Highway 879 east onto Township Road 44 and north on Range Road 100. The church is abandoned and locked. I do not know how long it has been this way. There must have been a fair amount of people here at one time due to the size of the church.

From what I can find there never was much at Faith. There is nothing close to this church and there are no remains of a town. This is another lonely stretch of prairie. You can see the church a long ways off in the distance before you get to it. The nearest town of any size is Foremost, Alberta.





The winds here can be very strong.


The entrance to the cemetery.



A number of the graves are in good shape. Time and the elements have damaged a few others. There are no recent graves.



Some animal has burrowed underneath the concrete.





The view from the cemetery.


9 comments:

  1. Stumped - cannot find. But great photographs! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad Blogger fixed your commentary! Such a sad cemetery and church - all the stained glass windows are gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When this published at the set date and time my text to go with the photos was missing. I did a quick edit.

      Delete
  3. Jeez that one gives me the creeps.

    One of these days you're going to run into some spooks, BW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only feels creepy when I am at a place like this with no one for miles around and you realize that you are all alone. Most of the time I never think about it.

      Delete
  4. My first take....was an oasis...nothing for miles..and can be seen from a long ways off...must too have been a fairly well off congregation considering the size, style of the church as well as the headstones...would I be wrong in that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am guessing that years ago there were a number of farms in the area that disappeared over time. Enough people melted away that there was no need for the church.

      Delete
  5. My grandfather was born in Faith, Alberta.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My father was born in Faith in 1913. On the family homestead in a sod house. I think I read the post office closed in the 1960’s and that was the end of the town. Thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete