Thursday 12 May 2016

The things I do to visit out of the way places

Alternately titled "The abandoned bridge post" where I was on April 16, 2016.


There is an abandoned rail bridge crossing the Red Deer River. The photo below is from a Google satelllite view showing it in winter. The rail line was torn up years ago and there are no roads to this bridge. It was on my list of places to get to. The bridge is called the Bullpound Bridge and there is a Bullpound Creek nearby.



Below is a snip from Google Maps. There is a whole lot of nothing in this area. The pin is where the bridge is located.


A quick shot from my trust back roads atlas for Alberta. I was with a friend of mine and we were in the area looking for photo subjects. I mentioned that there was a bridge in the area and me suggested we check it out. So on a whim we decided to go for it. I had never been there before and was not sure of the exact location. We drove along Township Road 240 and turned south on Range Road 145. That was wrong. We turned back to where Township Road 240 ended. There is a trail, not a road, that you can drive on that goes north. You are basically driving across prairie. We did that for about four or five miles and parked the truck. I got out with a couple of cameras and took a walk.


Everything is this area was bone dry that day. It was a little hard to see the small cactus hidden in the grass. There are lots of them. Running shoes do not protect you from cactus.I have heard that there are rattlesnakes in this area as well. I did not see any wildlife.


After a hike of about a kilometre I found the bridge.  Now that I know where it is I will come back with a few more people. I want to take a walk on it but doing stuff by yourself is not a smart idea. My friend has a few health issues and he cannot walk long distances so he stayed with the truck. It is not a hard place to get to. It is a little inconvenient.


There will be a return trip.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool! Quite the explorer...did the cacti get ya?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I found it! And invest in a good pair of boots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting location. I'd be fun to be out there during some weather, but I suppose you'd better be careful there's not too much weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a fan of the hail storms here.

      Delete