Monday 7 November 2016

St. Mary's Church October 15, 2016

One of those places I ran across when I really was not looking for anything in particular. This is northwest of Hairy Hill, Alberta. About four miles north on Range Road 143 off of Highway 45. A recent snowfall made this place look absolutely gorgeous. 

One of the things I love about places like this is that the people that came here brought a piece of their home with them and made our place a little more interesting. I spent a bit of time trudging through the snow and taking it all in and getting photos at the same time. It was well worth running around in six inches of snow in running shoes.


The church is on the top of a hill. 


I would love to see the inside.


Romanian settlers came to this area in 1898 and the church was consecrated in 1905. Amazing that people came all that distance to a totally different place to start a new life. It could not have been easy.





I took a quick photo of the domes and loved how it turned out. 


Old church bell.


I really need to come back in the summer. This is a really neat spot.


3 comments:

  1. What a beautiful setting for the church and cemetery. The snow makes it even more so. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photos of a beautiful church and cemetery. I found this on the web:
    http://boianchurch.mareleboian.com/index.html
    Fascinating history. Some more great photos and also some videos. Unfortunately I don't speak Romanian. :) Did some more searching and it appears that Boian, Bokovina is now in the Ukraine. Bokovina was divided into two parts, southern in Romania and northern part in Ukraine.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukovina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Picture postcard perfect!

    ReplyDelete