Friday 19 May 2017

Glen Echo School 1913 - 1945

This is in a very rural area southwest of Bow Island, Alberta. I am not saying where this is except that it is not on a main road. A lot of work was put into this project. After the school was closed it was moved to Bow Island, Alberta. It was moved back to it's original site and restored.

There is a marker in front of the school. It states that the funding for the restoration of the school was provided by Henry Dale Schnee who attended the school from 1938 to 1945. He was eighty-one when he undertook this project. He must have loved this place to put his time, effort, and resources into restoring it. I hope it stands for many years.



There is a secure door and the windows have steel roll shutters. It is unfortunate that you have to guard against crime in the middle of nowhere. 


I did not go in the school. I put my camera up against the window to get this photo. This was very well restored. You can notice a school bell on the teacher's desk.


The original foundation. 

4 comments:

  1. This is fantastic. I am so glad that there are people out there that care about these places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does anybody ever see it out there? Looks like a low population density area to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think it gets a lot of visitors. I would guess a few events might be held there. To me it is more of someone's pet project. You run across a few projects and I admire the time and effort people put into them.

      Delete
  3. It's a nice little piece of Alberta's history.

    ReplyDelete