Sunday 11 March 2018

Holmfield, Manitoba

Harrison Milling grain elevators and mill buildings
While driving around southwestern Manitoba, photographing grain elevators, I came to the town of Holmfield to see the twinned elevators at the mill there. I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of other interesting sights in the town.

The prime attraction of the town is the Harrison Milling complex, featuring a pair of grain elevators and the mill itself. This mill is the oldest mill in Western Canada, built in 1897. The Harrison brothers were milling here until the late 1990s.

The mill is private property, still owned by the Harrison family. My photographs are from the public roads nearby.

Holmfield General Store
Holmfield also features a general store, labeled as the Pioneer Store. I believe it's a museum now, and it had a sign with a phone number to call if you wanted to visit it.

The "Holmfield Hilton" is nearby - I'm not sure if the hotel is still in operation or not, but I liked the sign.


The town is full of abandoned buildings, but it is not abandoned. There is a church that appears to still be in use, and I did see some occupied houses while I was there.

Probably not in use any more
Every prairie town seems to have a few abandoned vehicles.

It's been a while since this has hauled some grain

Even the town hardware store was still there in 2014.

Hardware and Paints
More about Holmfield

Thanks to BW for letting me write this guest post!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. I have never been to Manitoba. I have to fix that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool photos Steve and the history too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great guest post! I wish I had explored more the times I have been to Manitoba.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool to see pictures from my past life....I left there when I was 12 years old....lots of great memories here

    ReplyDelete