Friday 16 March 2018

Not my usual Friday . . .

Yesterday we had a heavy snowfall warning. Last night after work  it was nice enough in Airdrie so I was dumb enough to drive to Calgary to look at a 2007 Dodge Dakota manual transmission rear-wheel drive extended cab that looked in excellent shape from the description and posted photos. I do not live far from Calgary so I thought I would take a look. Once I got there the weather quickly got worse. It was snowing hard and it was making the roads icy. I made it to see the truck and turned back right away. The interior looked great. The owner hid the fact that there was noticeable rust over the rear passenger side wheel well. Definitely not interested.

I drove under the speed limit coming back. I have seen what happens to vehicles when they lose control on ice at highway speed. I saw only one car in the ditch. The weather had threatened to hit us with 10-15cm of snow. I went to sleep with it still snowing.

I woke up to see far less snow than forecast in my area. Now it is sunny, above freezing, and melting. The roofers still have not finished replacing the tar and gravel roof where I work. With the recent snowfall and it melting we now have multiple leaks in the ceiling and we have run out of buckets to catch the drips. Personally I thought stripping off a roof and replacing it during the tail end of winter was the wrong time of year for this project. Then again I never claimed to be a roofing expert.

5 comments:

  1. It is 88F in the shade here in Del Rio Tx at 1450 this afternoon. There is a nice gentle breeze blosing the hot air across me. 12 feet of snow would last about 15 minutes out in this desert right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're supposed to have freezing rain tonight and in the morning. However, weathermen are not infallible and it's March, so we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If the pictures don't show all 4 sides, I've asked for more pictures.
    Good luck with the hunt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. BW I know you've been doing just fine with 2WD vehicles. I really think a man of your wealth and taste should have a good 4x4.
    For what you do - spend the money and smile! Vehicles these days last forever if you do your maintenance and take care of them...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My gardening truck is a 2008 Ford Ranger extended cab 2WD with a V6 and manual transmission. I occasionally use it for road trips when I'm planning to climb Gold Butte or think I'll really need the ground clearance for trails. It's good for most things except heavy mud since I seldom have any weight in the box. A friend describes it this way...with a 2WD you get stuck on the edge, with a 4X4 you get stuck in the middle...lol! Good luck with the search.

    ReplyDelete