Thursday 16 April 2015

Hay bales revisited

Just north of Airdrie March 11, 2015
I am not a farmer and I did not grow up on a farm. I have a fair number of relatives that did farm and some that still do.

Years ago it was rectangular hay bales. I cannot remember the last time I saw the typical rectangular hay bale in a field. For a while you would see the big loose stacks that looked like loaves. For years though it has been the big round bales although lately I am seeing more and more of the huge rectangular bales. 

Like these.


What you rarely see is anyone taking their bales off a field. They leave them sit through the winter. My relatives would move them off the field as soon as the baling was done. One of my uncles would stack them in razor sharp lines after he moved them closer to his feedlot for the winter. Since he was so obsessed with taking his off the field (and my other relatives also removed them) it just strikes me as odd when I see someone leave them there after baling.

1 comment:

  1. The shape depends on the style of the latest mechanized baling machine. They still do the seven dollar rectangular bale here in central California. Out in Nevada you can see more of the big rolls. The alfalfa smells wonderful when it's fresh cut and drying in rows.

    ReplyDelete