Wednesday 23 December 2015

Mayton Cemetery December 20, 2015

A recent friend of mine asked if I wanted to join him to explore some of the rural countryside. While driving with no real purpose I remembered Mayton, Alberta. I had never been there and I knew there once was a town there years ago with a general store, creamery, and blacksmith shop. Now nothing remains, not a trace except for the cemetery.

This is not too far from where I live, about an hour drive. It is just north off Highway 27 near Torrington, Alberta. This is a lonely spot with no hint of where a town once stood. The cemetery is still being used.


This person had quite the life. I was surprised that there was no cenotaph marking the sacrifice of veterans. They are a usually common feature in cemeteries.


I saw this and immediately liked it. I wonder how long it will last.


It is a nice spot. Without directions we might have never found it. It is off on a few rural gravel roads. The place looks peaceful in winter.


2 comments:

  1. Genevieve Emma Layden must have been one amazing woman...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The actual townsite of Mayton was 1 1/2 miles east of the cemetery.

    ReplyDelete