Monday 10 October 2016

It once was a church

Sometimes you get to some places late. In this case late is September 18, 2016. The collapsed building was once a very small church. This is what once was Gros Ventre Church. I would have liked to see what it looked like before it succumbed to the elements.


The cemetery is fenced off surrounded by farmland. There are six known graves here. It is very overgrown and hard to make out the markers. The last known burial here is from 1939. The names that I could see are German. This is in a very rural area south of Medicine Hat, Alberta down a gravel road where a sign states it is not recommended for winter travel. The cemetery is small and I did not venture in. I did not want to crawl over or through a barbed wire fence and it was overgrown enough that I did not want to risk stepping on anything important.




1 comment:

  1. Wow, what an iconic place to come to rest. Those folk buried there found a prairie home for sure.

    ReplyDelete