Monday 28 November 2016

Krassna Church and Cemetery

Highway 21 just a little south of junction where it meets Highway 321 in Saskatchewan on November 12, 2016. I spotted the cemetery off in a farmer's field from the highway. It is on the west side of the highway. By the time I got stopped I noticed this sign just off the highway. Being the sort of person that I am I had to visit. I know that this area of Saskatchewan had German settlers from Eastern Europe. 


The walk from the road to the cemetery. I did not see any "No Trespassing" signs while crossing the field.


A couple of plain markers. The church ceased to exist in 1944.


The arch has a list and key of all of the grave sites. Most of them are in the 1930's and earlier. One is from 1991. The site is very neat and ordered.




This is the only one I saw in need of restoration. This place is well kept.


I love running across unique crosses.



Very few cemeteries do not have a reminder of the war years. People from all over Canada served. I doubt there is an area of the country that was not affected.





Graves of children affect me as well as the very simple markers. To me the very simple markers say that those left behind did not have much and did their best to mark the site. Not that long ago people had some very tough times to live through.



5 comments:

  1. I wonder if the simple grave markers were due to the Great Depression (1929 - 1939). I have read that Canada suffered as greatly at that time or even more so than did the States.

    Those iron crosses are works of art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite the variety of markers there. I agree with Vicki, the iron ones are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that emoticon, the one with a face with a great beaming smile and whose wide eyes looking like large hearts? That would be the one I'd use here. Guess, I'll have to use the fall-back method however. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. South central North Dakota has iron crosses used by Germans from Russia who settled in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for posting these photos. These settlers were Germans from Russia too. The cemetery is named after the village of Krasne, now in Odessa Oblast, Ukraine, where many of the settlers came from, including my great grandfather who is buried here.I have never seen this cemetery there in person; maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete