Saturday 7 October 2017

Ain't technology grand?

I have a relatively new laptop that runs Windows 10. I am not a fan of the operating system however I can live with it. I wanted to download a couple of songs on my laptop before I forgot all about them. I booted up the laptop and was informed that a Windows update was being installed. I thought it could not take more than a couple of minutes. 

Wrong.

Over an hour later the install finished. I downloaded the music then tried to play the songs. No sound. Hmmm. Speakers are not on mute. Everything is set up right. Did some troubleshooting and still no sound. Then a message pops up announcing some kind of new dynamic sound programming that was part of the update and that I would have to restart the laptop to experience it.

Turn off and restart the computer. I click on the song I wanted to test and I have sound again. 

A few days prior I downloaded a new update for my Iphone. I use my phone for calls, photos, texting, and email, not much else. I have a couple of new apps I do not want plus at least one app is not compatible with the new update. Not to mention that I have to reset all my settings to what they were before as Apple seems to think they know what is best for me and turned my settings to what they think they should be. My Iphone 6 now seems to be a bit slower. This is obviously a deliberate plot by Apple to get me to buy the newest Iphone. Nevermind how much time this has taken.

My current Ipod is dying for some reason. It is actually pretty old and I have got a lot of use out of it. I bought an Ipod Touch. I thought setting it would be easy. 

Wrong again.

Connect new Ipod. Download updated operating system. Turn off all of the options like synced messages, contacts, automatically uploaded photos. I want it to store music and that is it. Tried to sync my music library. Music library would not sync. Now this was getting personal. Got some coffee and started going through all of the menu options until I could find where to change the settings to get what I want. Songs start syncing to the Ipod and twenty minutes later success. Apple was known for making things easy and they were relatively good at that years ago. Now they want me to eat up large chunks of time trying to learn the intricacies of their products when all I want to do is set it and forget it.

At this point I might as well start taking programming classes after hours.

2 comments:

  1. You can always bring your Apple gear to your good buddy Ron, the Apple Guru.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have avoided the update so far...

    ReplyDelete