Monday 16 October 2017

I usually post a church on Monday . . .

I have ran out of churches to post. I have literally posted a church on Monday for weeks. Instead I will post a trip along Highway 31 in British Columbia from Poplar Creek to Gerard on October 8, 2017.

Part of Highway 31 runs along the Lardeau River. I stopped here to take in the scenery and some other people in jeeps did the same. On that point jutting out into the river a black bear appeared and got spooked when it noticed us on the other side. I narrowly missed getting photos. There were eagles chasing each other in the air that I watched. For some reason I did not think to get a photo of it.


The bear was interested in fishing. The river was teeming with spawning fish. You could see hundreds of them in the water. Try getting a photo of fish in a river.


It is a good gravel highway with dense trees and brush on either side.


I really do drive a KIA and I really do drive it to these places. The trusty KIA on the bridge at Gerard. There is nothing at Gerard. It is a true ghost town. Years ago there used to be homes, a hotel, some businesses, all of which serviced the mining communities in the area. One side of the bridge is the river, on the other side is Trout Lake.


Trout Lake.


Marking Gerard.



Remains of a building.


Remains of another building being overtaken by nature. You could see remains of another building off in the trees. I would have needed a machete to clear enough brush to properly see it.


There were people camping in the area. Not sure what the sign was about. Nor did I want to find out.


This cabin was in use. No one was in it at the time. A sign was posted on the front that it was private property.

1 comment:

  1. Was there one spring and the number of Gerard Trout spawning was so great you could have walked across the river deity style, using them as stepping stones without getting feet wet! If you go into the woods just behind the little red cabin, one can find remains of the railway which was abandoned in the 1940s. Hairy Man Ride? What the?

    ReplyDelete